Longer days, green shoots and blossom. Spring in Melbourne: crisp windy and wet. This is a time to rejoice and celebrate new life. So should our homes celebrate the new season.
This is the spring presentation tips article which will concentrate on presentation of your home in this most joyous of seasons, the special things you should do when sports mad Melbournians try to work their auctions and open homes around football finals and racing carnivals.
As with all first meetings it is all about first impressions. Let's start with street appeal.
- Make sure that the lawn is mowed and the edges are trimmed.
- Give the garden some fertilizer and make sure garden beds are mulched.
- Now is the time to tidy camellias and cut back the lemon trees.
- It's a great time to plant to fill those bare patches in the garden beds.
- Paint where needed to brighten your freshen your rooms.
- Attend to scuffs chips and marks on walls and woodwork.
- Beautiful bloosoms and bulbs are bursting forth and you should take your colour palatte from what is in your garden.
Take a look at your garden should have a theme or predominant colour - yellow if you have daffodils and jonquils, lemon trees and roses, blue if you have bluebells and lavender, white and pale pink if you have deciduous trees that have blossoms.
Bring the outside in by using the theme inside, cut the blooms from the trees and put them in vases or use pots of daffodils instead of fresh flowers as table centers or decoration. Continue this theme into any alfresco areas match any cushions and table settings to these colours.
Decorate the table with any herds that may be flowering, like chives or sage and pop a bottle of white wine on ice or a coloured water bottle and glasses to complete. Any canapes should suit the light, fresh mood, quiches are a great spring nibble.
Buy a new front and back doormat also provide a soft mat for the inside of the door, it can be very wet in Spring. Have a receptacle for umbrellas at the front door.
Have the fireplace operating but also have the airflow working, in Spring we don't mind so much if it a little fresh, as long as it is not stuffy. Keep the music upbeat, light and joyous and, of course have all the lights on during the open home.
As with all of my seasonal posts, this should be read as an add on to the classic presentation tips, such as decluttering and sprucing, which can be found by clicking here